Friday, August 14, 2009

Storing the Extras

Thought you might find this post from My Food Storage Deals and thought I'd pass it along - great info!!


People ask me what 'extras' (nonfood items) I find useful (or necessary) to store in my storage. I am not sure I have a complete YEAR supply of these items, but these are a few of the necessities I think are important to keep well stocked in your food storage:

*Toilet Paper (what would we do without this???)
*Laundry detergent (I store the liquid soap and a couple big tubs of the el-cheapo powder stuff you can buy 20lbs. for a few bucks--this would be my TRUE emergency soap)
*Hand soap (liquid, bar, sanitizer)
*Paper Towels
*Toothpaste and toothbrushes
*Shampoo & Conditioner
*Deoderant
*Women's sanitary products (is that what you would call those?)
*Bandaids and other basic emergency/first aid supplies
*Basic cleaning supplies (to sanitize your house in case of an emergency/pandemic, etc.) Bleach being one of the most important.
*Extra medication and vitamins (basic pain relievers, fever reducers, antacids, etc. are all good 'basic' medicines that would be good to have in case of an emergency--not to mention medication you need for more serious illnesses)
*Candles*Batteries & Flashlights
*Warm Blankets (in the case the power went out in the winter for a long period of time)*Gasoline (if you have a generator--you can legally store 30 gallons on your property)
*Propane (in ALL shapes and sizes--small canisters, extra BBQ propane)
*Butane (for my small butane stove)

I am sure I forgot several items, but these are some basics that I don't think I could do without in an emergency. If you can think of others...post them in the comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment